The themes of the Spanish Ethical Trade Forums in 2018 focused on recruitment practices, Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBAs) and application of national legislation, as well as regional specific challenges.
In addition, in this Forum we wanted to introduce a new issue concerning working and living conditions of workers in the transport industry.
An issue which is currently being looked at by the Food Network on Ethical Trade (FNET). It was highlighted after a known Swedish corporation received complaints of poor living and working conditions of drivers hired by agencies in Eastern Europe.
This year, we also launched supplier Working Groups to deal with regional specific issues. The agenda focused on creating participatory workshops to discuss these. This process is helping local producers to learn more about labour and human rights issues in their regions and ultimately to take ownership of the forums.
The Working Groups are led by suppliers themselves and count on the voluntary participation of their members. Currently there are three working groups:
- Group 1: Code of Practice on Labour Agencies (Murcia)
- Group 2: Good practice on accommodation and transport (Huelva)
- Group 3: Good practice on smallholder practices and traceability (Almeria)
Representatives from working group 1 and 2 were present in Murcia and Almeria. Unfortunately, with Huelva being a 6- 7 hour drive away from Almeria it was more difficult to have participants attend that last workshop.
Participants asked that we cover the following subjects in future forums:
• Technology used for ethical management of workers and to develop transparency
(blockchain, greenlight, muddy boots, SEDEX)
• Information on Social Responsibility Systems. How to embed these in the organisation and
create management systems.
• Recruitment in origin countries
• Social Responsibility and management systems eg. ISO 26000, SA 8000
• Contracts for workers in the field.
• Management of smallholder farms.
• Traceability of smallholders feeding into supply chains
• Solutions to the transport issue.
• Retention of workers on the farms
• Recruitment at origin
En esta área se encuentran almacenados los trabajos en curso y resultados finales de los diferentes Grupos de Trabajo del Foro. Además, puedes encontrar los informes y presentaciones de los encuentros.
In this area, the work in progress and the final outcomes of the different Working Groups of the Forum are stored. Also you can have access to reports and presentations delivered at the events.